Here are 5 different games to play with taco toppings, and also our recipe for Fusion Fish Tacos. Pick some games, snap some pics and share with us at @TastequestHQ!
- Taco Topping Skiball: Take a long piece of butcher paper and draw 6-inch wide circles at one end, as many as you have taco toppings. Label each of the circles with your taco toppings. Place the butcher paper on the floor. Take a bean bag (Or make one with some rice or dry beans in a sandwich bag) and slide the bag along the butcher paper. Whichever circles you hit, make a taco with those ingredients! See what flavor combinations surprise you.
- Taco Cornhole: Follow the instructions for #1, but instead of butcher paper, head outside and draw circles with chalk on the pavement. Stand a good distance away and toss your beanbag toward the circles. For extra fun, turn around, and toss the bags over your head backwards!
- Taco Parlor: Write down taco toppings on small pieces of paper. Fold them up and place in a hat or pot. Take turns and play either Pictionary or Charades with the toppings, then make tacos with the selected toppings.
- Mystery Taco! Prepare tacos with mystery ingredients (without Dad watching). When Dad is ready to eat, sit him down with a blindfold, and ask him to sample your mystery tacos. Ask him to identify the mystery ingredients, and get points for every ingredient that fools him!
- Guacamole of Destiny! Download our mini-mag, Adventure Guacamole, grab a pair of dice, and let fate decide what you put into your guacamole recipe!
More Fun ideas…Get Wacky!
Who’s to say what belongs on a taco? What if you went a little wild and whacky with your offerings? Borrow some of these ideas for some unexpected toppings, or share your own ideas with us at @TastequestHQ!
Sweet chili sauce
FUSION FISH TACOS!
Here is my recipe for battered fish tacos with an Asian style slaw. It’s rawther fabulous, if I say so myself.
1 lb cod, or other whitefish, cut into strips 1 inch wide
1/4 cup flour
1/4 panko crumbs
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Water (or beer for grownups)
Oil for frying
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package coleslaw mix, or 1/2 head sliced cabbage
3 scallions, diced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Optional toppings: avocado slices, mango slices, green salsa, sweet chili sauce
- Prepare the slaw: Mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, honey, lime juice, and salt. Add the vegetables and toss until evenly covered.
- Prepare the batter: Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add water until the batter looks as thick as yogurt. Add the fish strips and coat evenly.
- Heat 1 inch of oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Fry the fish strips until golden on all sides.
- Serve on warmed corn tortillas with the slaw, and any other toppings you choose.